Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 6 - July 5

 The day after the 4th of July was a very low key one. ALL of us were sleep deprived. I went to class again and for the food one we ate a quick breakfast that our teacher made for us, a stuffed crossaint with either chocolate, jam, or a lemon spread. I had the jam one...of course delicious. Then we headed
to the market to learn everything there was to know about it! I was so happy to be hearing Marco's point of view about the different parts and different sections of each because he told us which ones are good to trust with reasonably priced items and which ones to basically stay away from. The first thing we saw...fish. Not alive, but totally still intact. All I have to say to that is EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. We did learn about how to pick out what fish is good and I am sure it is probably so tastey because everything is as fresh as it can get, but I don't think I will be able to stand skinning it and deboning it. Ugh. Then we checked out the other meat. Lets just say it was not my favorite section in the market. This really made me miss home with our supersized grocery stores that does not show me the original form of the meat, but just gives me the end product!! Haha maybe that is a little dumb to say that because it is amazing to have such a cool market, but I just don't need to see full blown chickens, rabbits (with face and little feet), pig feet, and lamb skin everywhere you look. Once we got past all that yucky stuff :) we looked at the pasta, cheese, fruit and vegetable stands. Those were obviously much better and I can't wait to go back and shop again now that I know where to look and what to stay away from. I also had to do some photography homework today. We just had to go take pictures on a specific type of setting that we learned the first day that would show our teacher our impression of Florence. I had such a hard time with this because I do not understand all the settings and everything of my computer to make it work for different lighting. So after walking around for about 2 hours taking pictures I thought I had enough good ones to go to class with. However, when I got there my teacher thought just a little differently. He took each of our best 5 and critiqued them in front of everyone. At first we were all a little
embarrassed but realistically it was so helpful. He told us what we should change and how we can change it so I was happy with his help, and honestly I was happy with my pictures too. I mean I'm no professional! I will never not have mistakes! My teacher is awesome though because he took us outside and made us practice together and our subjects had to be random people on the street!! Haha it was very weird to be following people or pointing cameras in their faces, but it was so hard too. I did not get very good pictures, so it was super frustrating. I was way too tired to work after class too so I left the sunset and perfect picture taking lighting to go back home.
 When I got home I decided that tonight was totally dedicated to going to bed early. JJ and I had a skype date when he got off work around 9 oclock my time and that was all I had planned to do. Carrie, Miyon, and I had dinner too. Nothing too big just grilled chicken with a little bit of a spicey kick and salad. It was really good, but the boys unfortunately were not happy with just a salad. They didn't understand that we were not cooking for them! We basically are their moms so we have to teach them to take care of themselves. Its a little bit funny. So after dinner 9 oclock came around, I skyped for a couple hours and then eventually got to bed early, which was 11:30 my time. Best thing I have decided to do since I've gotten here...well maybe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment